World Banana Bread Day – 23 February
Banana bread is the ultimate comfort food, from the caramelised crust to its soft spongy core, just grab a slice and let the deliciousness take over!
We recreated this family favourite in honour of World Banana Bread Day -23 Feb- from a much loved family recipe. It is sweet, scrumptious and filled with pecan nuts for a bit of crunch and pairs perfectly with your morning tea!
Treat yourself if you’re up for a bit of baking fun in the kitchen and a more-ish mid-morning snack!
- 550 ml flour
- 10ml baking powder
- 1ml bicarbonate of soda
- 2ml salt
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 125g butter
- 250 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 large, ripe bananas
- 125 – 250ml chopped pecan/walnuts(optional)
- 2ml vanilla
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
Use three separate bowls to prepare the following:
- Mash together bananas with a fork or potato masher.
- Sift flour with baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions and adding 5ml of the flour mixture with each egg
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with bananas, beating well until smooth
- Stir in nuts 3/4 of the nuts
- Stir in vanilla
- Pour into a lined and lightly oiled loaf pan
- Smooth top and sprinkle with whole and chopped pecan nuts
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 50 minutes to an hour
Turn your loaf out onto a baking tray, remove the paper and leave to cool slightly.
We recommend climbing into this heavenly loaf while it is still nice and warm. Using a bread knife, slice 1.5cm pieces and spread with creamy butter.
What are your go-to family recipes? Let us know!