tasty lentil curry Served with yoghurt
Winter is the perfect time to bring out your cast iron casseroles and get creative in the kitchen. Think slow cooked stews, soups and curries – yum! To get you started for the chilly season, try out this tasty lentil curry. It’s absolutely delicious, and incredibly easy to make! This recipe is great for a night in with the family, or for serving at a cozy Winter gathering with friends.
Lentil Curry recipe
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 450g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 1 head of cauliflower, stemmed and separated into florets
- 1 cup of brown lentils, picked over, well rinsed, and drained
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes with juice
- Coarse salt
- Plain low-fat yogurt, for serving (optional)
- In your cast iron pot, heat oil over a medium heat. Add finely chopped onion, and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft.
- Add curry powder
- Allow to cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Stir in sweet potatoes chunks, cauliflower florets, lentils, and 2 cans of diced tomatoes,
- Add 1 1/2 cups water
- Season with salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer
- Cover with the lid of your casserole, and cook until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately with yogurt, if desired.
For a great finishing touch, add a dollop of yoghurt to mini serving dishes and place one next to each dinner setting.
Do you have any favourite Winter-warmer recipes that go down great with the family?