For us here at Eetrite, quiche is a meal that ticks all the right boxes. Flaky crust, creamy filling, completely customisable and oh-so easy to make. So when our go-to foodie Mantsoe at Simmer Thyme told us she was making a sun-dried tomato & spinach quiche we were all ears!
She was kind enough to share it with us for all Eetrite fans to enjoy! Give it a try and let us know what you think.
- Shortcrust pastry (you can make this from scratch but I suggest store bought)
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A small onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 80 g Spinach
- 80 g Sun-dried Tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup Cream
- 4 eggs
- Cheese (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Grease a pie dish with butter.
- Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface using a rolling pin (also floured) – about 5mm thick.
- Carefully fit the pastry into your pie dish, poke holes into the base using a fork and *blind bake for about 15 minutes. *Line the pastry dough with parchment paper and fill with pastry weights, rice, or beans.
- Remove the weights & parchment paper, increase the oven temperature to 200°C and place the pastry back into the oven for another 10 min to cook and brown slightly.
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan. Add onion and sauté until translucent, add garlic and spinach. Season with salt & pepper and cook until the spinach has wilted.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and cream. Season to taste.
- Transfer the spinach filling along with the roughly chopped up sundried tomatoes into the pastry base (you can add cheese here if you want to). Pour over the eggs and cream mixture (and add more cheese here if you want to).
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the center of your quiche is completely cooked.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes to enjoy at room temperature.
Tag Eetrite & Simmer Thyme in your sun-dried tomato & spinach quiche creations.