These loaded lemons are packed with flavour and perfect as a pre-dinner bite or served alongside canapés at a dinner party.
Serving suggestion: 1-2 lemons per person
1 large lemon per person
A ball of buffalo mozzerella per lemon
1 small basil leaf per lemon
½ cherry tomato per lemon
Salt & pepper
Melba toast, to serve
½ calamata olive per lemon or 1 sliver of proscuitto per lemon
- Preheat your oven to 200° C
- Line your oven tray with wax/baking paper
- Cut off the rounded ends of the lemons, being careful not to cut into the fleshy inside.
- Slice the lemons in half and stand each half on its base.
- Using a paring knife, loosen the inside lemon flesh from the rind and scoop out with a teaspoon. You will want the base to remain solid, so keep a bit of flesh in if it means not piercing through the base. You will be left with lemon bowls!
- * Keep the juicy inside to make some homemade lemonade!
- Tear your buffalo mozzerella balls in half and flatten them using your fingers, placing one half inside your lemon rind bowl.
Next, add a basil leaf and half a cherry tomato. Grind over a touch of salt and pepper before drizzling with a dash of olive oil.
* At this point, you can add diced olives or a sliver or two of prucuitto.
- Place the remaining mozzerella half on top.
- Repeat with the remianing lemons.
- Set your loaded lemons onto your oven tray.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mozzerella starts to go golden.
Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- Serve alongside melba toast with a few teapsoons handy so that guests can scoop out the mozzarella to enjoy on the toast.