We’re taking the traditional potato gnocchi and turning it into a modern favourite with this homemade sweet potato gnocchi recipe. What’s great about this particular gnocchi recipe is that you don’t need to be a chef or Nona to create this simple but tasty pasta dish!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C
- Peel and boil the potatoes in salted water until tender
- Drain the potatoes and place into a large bowl with salt, nutmeg and the beaten egg
- Mash until smooth
- Add flour to a clean and even work surface
- Make a well in the centre of the flour
- Scoop the mashed sweet potatoes into the flour well
- Flour your hands and begin working the sweet potato into the flour until fully combined
- Roll the dough into a log, about 2.5cm thick, and cut it into even gnocchi pieces, about 1,5cm thick
- Gently toss each piece in flour to ensure the sweet potato gnocchi is dry before cooking
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil
- Add gnocchi and leave to cook
- Once the gnocchi floats to the surface of the water, remove using a slotted spoon.
For a warm tomato based treat, we recommend using our roasted tomato pasta recipe
Or for something a little lighter, simply melt a knob some butter over a medium heat, and a few sage leaves and leave to lightly simmer before tossing the cooked gnocchi in your butter and sage sauce.