Our gorgeous homemade falafels are where comfort food intersects with healthy living. A “sweet spot” of foodie pleasure, that has been enjoyed, by many cultures living around the Mediterranean Sea, for over 1000 years! Best enjoyed freshly made and in abundance. Here’s a tried, tested and loved recipe for falafels and how to serve them.
For the falafels:
- 250g dry chickpeas
- ½ an onion, chopped
- 7g fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 3g fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roasted
- ½ tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- A Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Sunflower oil
- Coleslaw mix
Place the chickpeas into a large mixing bowl and cover with water as per the packaging instructions (we used 1 part chickpeas to 5 parts water). Leave to soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Scoop 2 cups of chickpeas into a bowl and add all of the falafel ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Add the falafel mix to your food processor (you may need to do this in batches depending on the capacity of your food processor).
- Pulse until combined.
- Pour the mixture back into your mixing bowl, and remove any large pieces of chickpeas that may have been missed.
- Cover with Clingfilm and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Once cooled, remove from the fridge and begin to form the mixture into balls using your hands. The size can be based on personal preference, however, we used about 1½ tablespoons of mix per ball.
- For an extra crunch, roll your falafels in sesame seeds before frying.
- To fry, pour sunflower oil into a medium sized frying pan, to the height of about half of one of your falafel balls.
- Heat the oil slowly over a medium heat.
- Fry 4-5 balls at a time rotating until all sides are golden brown.
- Cut pitas into halves or quarters.
- Fill your pitas with a generous serving of hummus, and a sprinkling of coleslaw mix
- Slice your homemade falafels in half and place inside the pitas.
Take pictures of your creations, share them on social media and tag us! We could share your creation on our page!